Michael is an associate in the commercial litigation team.
Michael advises individuals, partnerships, companies and limited liability partnerships on a range of disputes.
Michael has particular experience of acting on debt recovery and enforcement matters and contractual disputes. He has also undertaken work in respect of construction and corporate disputes.
Michael trained at a regional Surrey firm before joining Russell-Cooke in October 2018.
Michael has acted for property developers and individuals in respect of payment disputes and disputes related to defective works. Specific examples are:
- acted for a residential property developer in Technology and Construction Court proceedings in respect of a claim it brought for defective works
- acted for a defendant property developer in fast-track proceedings. The claimant contractor had issued proceedings against the developer to recover an unpaid debt
- acted for an individual in respect of a payment dispute with her contractor. Successfully assisted the client with resolving the dispute by asserting that the contractor had breached its contractual obligations
Michael has acted for limited liability partnerships and companies in debt recovery matters, disputes concerning the interpretation of contractual terms and allegations of misrepresentation. Specific examples are:
- advised an IT software distribution company on methods of debt recovery under a complicated contractual arrangement with an IT software retailer
- acted for a property developer in respect of allegations of misrepresentation made by a purchaser of one of its properties
- advised a multinational security services company in respect of a contractual dispute with its sub-contractor
Commercial corporate disputes
Michael has advised companies, directors and individuals in respect of disputes between directors and shareholders, aborted share sales and restrictions imposed on disqualified directors. Specific examples are:
- advised an individual on her legal obligations as a disqualified director and assisted her with responding to an investigation by the Insolvency Service
- advised the board of directors of a corporate client on the merits of a claim by a director and shareholder in respect of a breach of directors’ duties
- acted for a haulage company in respect of a dispute involving an aborted sale of its shares in a waste management company
Michael read Law at the University of Essex where he obtained a first-class honours degree before completing the Legal Practice Course at the University of Law in Guildford.