Richard is a senior associate in the family team at the Bedford Row office.
He advises clients on a range of complex family law issues often involving foreign jurisdictions and offshore assets. These include resolving financial issues between couples on the breakdown of a marriage or civil partnership, acting for family members who may have to intervene in the divorce of their children or other relations, advising unmarried parents on financial claims for their children, acting in private law children matters and pre- and post-nuptial agreement negotiations.
Richard is also an accredited expert in co-habitation matters, including declarations of trust and disputes between property owners (either family members or couples). He is able to use his background in civil litigation to good effect, as property disputes often fall outside the ambit of the Family Courts.
Richard takes a commercial approach to achieve cost effective and constructive solutions for his clients, whether in court, by direct negotiations between solicitors, mediation or arbitration.
Richard trained at an international law firm in London before qualifying as a commercial litigator in 2009. Having maintained an active interest in family law throughout his time in civil litigation, Richard took the opportunity to specialise in family law with Russell-Cooke, joining the firm in February 2012 and becoming a senior associate in 2018.
- Advising on a wide range of financial arrangements following separation, including cases involving offshore trusts, private equity funds, family businesses and property portfolios.
- Advising in cases involving jurisdictions outside England & Wales, such as Scotland, France, Germany and the USA.
- Intervening in divorce/dissolution and financial remedy proceedings on behalf of third party family members.
- Acting for clients in disputes about arrangements for children following separation and matters relating to financial provision for children of unmarried parents.
- Advising clients about co-ownership of property and protection of their interest.
- Acting in property co-ownership disputes in both the civil and family courts.
- Advising and negotiating pre- and post-nuptial agreements.
- Member of Resolution, an organisation of family lawyers focused on achieving family and child focused resolution to disputes.
- Accredited Resolution Specialist status for his expert knowledge in complex financial provision upon separation and cohabitation disputes between property owners.
- Contributor to Practical Law Family.
- Read Geography at University College London.
- Law conversion and Legal Practice Course (distinction) at the University of Law, Guildford.