Pippa is a partner in the charity and social business team.
Pippa advises charities, social enterprises and other not-for-profit organisations on all aspects of charity law. Pippa combines a strong general practice advising on governance, fundraising and trading, mergers and grant making (including overseas), with a particular expertise in philanthropy, where she advises both individuals and businesses on their giving. She has helped establish a number of family and corporate foundations.
Previous experience at a city firm includes:
- Supporting a family foundation on its engagement with a Charity Commission regulatory case. This included providing a robust response to the Commission, resulting in the official warning being overturned.
- Advising a number of FTSE 100 listed companies on the establishment of corporate foundations, including managing the ongoing relationship between the corporate founder and the charitable foundation, and the endowment of multi-million pound donations to the foundation.
- Advising on a merger between two household name cancer charities, and registering a new charity with the Charity Commission to receive the assets of both charities.
- Advising on the incorporation of a large international aid charity, which included advising on the transfer of assets around the world from the original trust to the new corporate charity.
- Providing ongoing fundraising advice to household name charities, in particular, advising on complicated commercial participator arrangements.
- Working with a team of accountants in successfully applying to HMRC for recognition of a German charity as a charity for tax purposes in the UK. Only a handful of overseas charities have been so recognised, which resulted in that charity qualifying for UK tax exemptions.
- Providing advice on overseas grant making and compliance (including HMRC and Charity Commission) for overseas charities and donor advised funds.
- Named as a “Rising Star”, Legal 500, 2019 – 2021 and a “Next Generation Lawyer”, Legal 500, 2017-2018
- “Very clear, efficient and concise”, Legal 500 2019. “Thorough, clear, timely and helpful”, Legal 500 2020
- Trustee of FoodCycle
- Public Affairs Committee Member, Philanthropy Impact
- Member of the Charity Law Association, working group member on Corporate transparency and register reform
- St Anne’s College, University of Oxford, BA (Hons) Modern History (academic scholar)
- LLM, University of Law (Richard Tuddenham prize for highest result in the UK)
- Allen & Overy LLP (trainee 2010 – 2012, associate 2012 – 2014)
- Bates Wells & Braithwaite London LLP (2014 – 2021)