Ricky is an associate in the commercial litigation team.
Ricky works on a range of cases for individual clients, partnerships, charities, companies and limited liability partnerships across a number of business sectors.
Ricky has particular experience in construction disputes (both commercial and residential), actions for infringement and unlawful use of intellectual property and commercial debt recovery. Ricky also advises clients on director and partnership disputes, general contractual issues and the use of alternative dispute resolution procedures, such as mediation.
Ricky trained with Russell-Cooke, joining the firm as a trainee in September 2013, subsequently qualifying as a solicitor in March 2015.
Ricky acts for employers, developers, main contractors and specialist subcontractors on a wide range of construction disputes. Ricky acts for clients in adjudications, arbitrations and proceedings in the Technology and Construction Court (including adjudication enforcement proceedings).
Ricky regularly advises clients in respect of payment disputes, delay-related disputes, disputes relating to defective work, and final account disputes. Specific examples are set out below:
- Acted for the successful responding party in Meadowside Building Developments Ltd v 12-18 Hill Street Management Company Ltd  EWHC 2651 (TCC), a case which raised important points of principle about the relationship between adjudication and liquidation and the law on maintenance and champerty.
- Acted for a main contractor in respect of a multi-million pound final account dispute. This included obtaining an adjudicator's award in respect of an interim payment and thereafter acting for the client in respect of three sets of proceedings; the main contractor's adjudication enforcement proceedings; the employer's part 8 claim for declaratory relief; and the substantive final account proceedings.
- Acted for a well-known charity in respect of final account adjudication proceedings relating to improvement works undertaken at the charity’s main business site. The adjudication involved issues of defective work, valuation disputes, and delay-related claims.
- Advised a specialist subcontractor on bringing its contract with a national home-builder to an end following a series of disputes.
- Acted for a main contractor in respect of a final account dispute with a residential occupier. This included working through the pre-action protocol process and negotiating a settlement on behalf of our client.
- Obtained an adjudication enforcement order for a residential occupier in respect of a claim for damages for defective and incomplete work.
IT, intellectual property and technology disputes
Ricky advises entrepreneurs, SMEs, large corporations and employees on a broad range of IT, intellectual property and technology disputes. This includes advising on intellectual property infringement, domain-name disputes, IT contract disputes and passing-off claims. Ricky has particular expertise in acting for clients in respect of copyright and trademark infringement. Specific examples are set out below:
- Acted for a cloud application service provider in respect of trade mark opposition proceedings brought by a computer games publisher.
- Acted for a software developer in defending a complex copyright infringement, breach of contract and misuse of confidential information claim.
- Acted for a broadcaster in respect of a claim for copyright infringement and conversion against another telecommunications services provider
- Advised a client in respect of anticipated copyright infringement relating to the screening of a sporting event.
- Acted for a health care provider in respect of a trade mark infringement dispute. This included advising the client in respect of the processes of the Company Names Tribunal.
- Advised a client in respect of a domain-name dispute and the appropriate dispute resolution process.
Company and commercial disputes
Ricky acts for clients in respect of contractual disputes, loan and debt-recovery actions, company restoration applications, disputes with HMRC, misrepresentation issues, disputes relating to property investments, disputes with insurers, claims against insolvent companies, and internal company and partnership disputes. Specific examples are set out below:
- Obtained injunctive relief for a director against a former director of the same company.
- Acted for a property developer in respect of a dispute relating to an option agreement. This included negotiating a settlement on behalf of our client following a proposed takeover of the corporate entity that held title to the land that was subject to the option.
- Acted for a client in respect of a dispute with a bank which had the benefit of certain restrictions registered against our client's property.
- Acted for a client in respect of a dispute relating to a property investment in France.
- Acted for a client in respect of his claim to restore a company to the register of company names.
- Acted for a client in respect of an arbitration under the LCIA rules relating to the sale of a high-end property in Spain.
Ricky read History at the University of Nottingham before undertaking his legal training at the College of Law in London.