Ricky is an associate in the commercial litigation team.
Ricky works on a range of cases for individual clients, partnerships, charities, companies and limited liability partnerships across a number of business sectors.
Ricky has particular experience in construction disputes (both commercial and residential), actions for infringement and unlawful use of intellectual property and commercial debt recovery. Ricky also advises clients on director and partnership disputes, general contractual issues and the use of alternative dispute resolution procedures, such as mediation.
Ricky trained with Russell-Cooke, joining the firm as a trainee in September 2013, subsequently qualifying as a solicitor in March 2015.
Ricky acts for employers, developers, main contractors and specialist subcontractors on a wide range of construction disputes. Ricky acts for clients in adjudications, arbitrations and proceedings in the Technology and Construction Court. Ricky regularly advises clients in respect of payment disputes, delay-related disputes, disputes relating to defective work, and final account disputes. Specific examples are set out below:
- acted for a main contractor in respect of a final account dispute in which the main contractor was seeking £2.8 million. This included obtaining an adjudicator's award in respect of an interim payment and thereafter acting for the client in respect of two sets of interim proceedings; the main contractor's adjudication enforcement proceedings and the employer's part 8 claim for declaratory relief
- acted for a residential occupier in respect of fast-track proceedings concerning a residential construction dispute, this included resisting the claimant's application for relief from sanctions
- obtained an adjudication enforcement order for a residential occupier in respect of a claim for damages for defective and incomplete work
- advised a specialist subcontractor on bringing its contract with a national home-builder to an end following a series of disputes
- acting for a residential occupier in responding to an adjudication relating to an interim payment dispute with a value of £600,000
- acting for a main contractor in respect of a final account dispute with a residential occupier. This included working through the pre-action protocol process and negotiating a settlement on behalf of our client
Intellectual property disputes
Ricky advises entrepreneurs, SMEs and employees on a broad range of intellectual property issues, including the protection of intellectual property, intellectual property infringement, and domain-name disputes. Ricky has particular expertise in acting for clients in respect of copyright and trademark infringement. Specific examples are set out below:
- acted for a software developer in defending a complex copyright infringement, breach of contract and misuse of confidential information claim which culminated in an eight day trial
- acted for a broadcaster in respect of a claim for copyright infringement and conversion against another telecommunications services provider
- advised a client in respect of anticipated copyright infringement relating to the screening of a sporting event
- acted for a fast-food business in respect of a trade mark infringement and passing-off dispute
- acted for a health care provider in respect of a trade mark infringement dispute. This included advising the client in respect of the processes of the Company Names Tribunal
- advised a client in respect of a domain-name dispute and the appropriate dispute resolution process
Ricky acts for clients in respect of contractual disputes, loan and debt-recovery actions, company restoration applications, disputes with HMRC, misrepresentation issues, disputes relating to property investments, disputes with insurers and claims against insolvent companies. Specific examples are set out below:
- acted for a property developer in respect of a dispute relating to an option agreement. This included negotiating a settlement on behalf of our client following a proposed takeover of the corporate entity that held title to the land that was subject to the option
- advised a client on pursuing his advisers after they provided inaccurate advice which led to substantial wasted costs arising from the establishment of several trusts
- acted for a client in respect of a dispute with a bank which had the benefit of certain restrictions registered against our client's property
- acted for a client in respect of a dispute relating to a property investment in France
- acted for a client in respect of his claim to restore a company to the register of company names
- acted for a client in respect of an arbitration under the LCIA rules relating to the sale of a property in Spain
- advised a client in respect of its claims against a company in liquidation
Ricky is a member of the London Solicitors Litigation Association and the Society of Construction Law.
Ricky read History at the University of Nottingham before undertaking his legal training at the College of Law in London.