All tenants deserve to live in a home that is safe and in a good state of repair and by law, your landlord is usually responsible for most repairs in your home. This applies to private, council and housing association landlords.

Your landlord's responsibilities include keeping in repair:

  • sinks, baths, toilets, pipes and drains
  • heating and hot water
  • gas appliances
  • electrical wiring
  • walls, stairs, roof, external doors and windows

Therefore if your roof is leaking or the central heating does not work, you have reported it to the landlord and they have failed to address the problem, then we are here to help.

We will write to the landlord, with full details of the disrepair, and ask that they carry out the necessary repairs to make your property habitable. If your landlord refuses, or the works carried out are not satisfactory, then we may be able to take court action on your behalf.

You may also be entitled to compensation for stress and inconvenience and any losses that you have suffered as a result of the disrepair. However please note that legal aid is no longer available to pursue compensation claims but we may be able to explore alternative funding options with you.

The Legal 500 (2022) says our social housing experts "really do go above and beyond the call of duty." One commentator said: "you are treated with respect by the staff members, your case is taken seriously with the aim of reaching a suitable outcome. The communication level is very effective and you are kept up to date with every stage of your case."

If you would like to speak with a member of the team you can contact our social housing solicitors on 020 3826 7525 or complete our enquiry form.