In this edition we:
- provide a round-up of recent developments
- look in-depth at crypto philanthropy, charity mergers and factors trustees should consider when approaching a land sale
We are pleased to announce that Sukanya Ransford has been promoted to the role of Legal Director. Sukanya has been at Russell-Cooke since December 2003 and has 25 years’ experience, much of which has been as a charity law specialist. We also welcome to our team, Giverny McAndry, an associate who specialises in commercial and governance issues for charities.
HMRC review of the 'claim Gift Aid online' service
HMRC is undertaking a review of the ‘claim Gift Aid online’ service and charities are being invited to give their feedback on the process. HMRC wants to understand the challenges faced when claiming Gift Aid online, what works and what doesn’t and how it can be improved. The hope is to make the system more streamlined, efficient, effective and simple. The survey takes five minutes to complete and you can access it here.
The Electoral Commission opens consultation on the draft statutory guidance
The Electoral Commission has opened a consultation on the draft statutory guidance around the new regime for imprints to be included on digital campaign material, introduced under the Elections Act 2022.
The statutory guidance will explain the digital imprints regime and how the Commission and the police will exercise their enforcement functions under the regime. Campaigners will need to understand and comply with the new digital imprint laws, so it is important that you provide your feedback now. The guidance will come into force in November 2023.
You can respond to the consultation online by 20 December 2022.
Roundup of recent charity law developments
- The new Charities Act 2022
- The Charity Commission’s Annual Public Meeting 2022
- The Fundraising Regulator Annual Complaints Report
- One in eight charities had experienced cybercrime in the previous 12 months
- The reforms on ex-gratia payments due to be brought in by the Charities Act 2022
- HMRC has updated its tax guidance for charities
- The Charity Commission has issued a new five minute guide for charity trustees on political activity and campaigning by charities
- New guidance on protecting charities from abuse for extremist purpose
- The Charity Commission is introducing individual, personal accounts for charity contacts
- Crypto Philanthropy: Are charities missing a crypto-trick?
- Selling off the ‘family silver’ – how should trustees approach land sales?
- Charity mergers: what you need to know