Sukanya is a senior associate in the charity and social business team.
Sukanya has a strong background in corporate law, having moved to Russell-Cooke in 2004 from a large City law firm where she specialised in mergers and takeovers of listed companies for six years.
Since joining Russell-Cooke, Sukanya predominantly works on governance matters for charities and advises on mergers and restructuring charities as well as establishing new charities and trading subsidiaries and advising on incorporations.
Sukanya is recommended in The Legal 500 (2014) who comment that she "meets deadlines and keeps to budget".
Sukanya is a repeat speaker at Directory of Social Change seminars. She also regularly speaks at the popular Russell-Cooke evening seminars particularly on the duties of trustees and understanding your governing document. In addition, she provides training for clients in relation to the role of the Board and governance matters.
She has volunteered for charities both overseas and in England including WaterAid and EveryChild. She was a volunteer for The Medical Foundation for the Care of Victims of Torture where she was a mentor for one year for a beneficiary who was settling in England after successfully seeking political asylum.
- Constitutional reviews for LAMDA, YHA and Sea Shepherd UK
- Establishing a number of charities including Arrisalah International Foundation UK, a charity working with Unicef UK to relieve poverty, The College of Podiatry, a podiatric research and educational charity, Incorporated Society of Musicians Trust and The Foundation Years Trust, an educational charity which encourages and provides support for youth education
- HealthWatchs - Advising in respect of establishing local HealthWatchs for a number of London boroughs
- Restructuring - Several incorporations including The Emery Walker Trust, Dancers’ Career Development and the restructuring of a number of related charities by way of incorporation to create Commonwork Trust
- Governance reviews for a number of charities including British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy and The Society of Chiropodists and Podiatrists
- Advising Choice Support on a number of mergers including with The Roy Kinnear Charitable Foundation and The Lady Verdin Trust
- Advising Royal Ballet Benevolent Fund on its merger with The Dance Teachers' Benevolent Fund
- Establishment of Social Interest Group to effect the merger of Penrose Options and Equinox Care
- St Mungo Community Housing Association - Advising the homelessness charity St Mungo Community Housing Association on its recent merger with Broadway Homelessness Support including advising on the structure of the arrangements, on a number of due diligence issues and on the decision making processes required to implement the structure
- mcch and Burgess Autistic Trust merger - Sukanya advised mcch on its merger with Burgess Autistic Trust. She advised on the structure of the arrangements and on the decision making processes required to implement the structure including liaising with the Charity Commission in respect of regulated changes to the governing document of Burgess in order to effect the merger. The merger was effected by Burgess becoming a wholly owned subsidiary of mcch enabling the two charities to work together through the group structure.
- mcch and DGSM Your Choice merger - Sukanya advised mcch on its recent merger with DGSM Your Choice. She advised on the initial group structure of the arrangements and on the finalisation of the transfer arrangements. The merger was initially effected by DGSM becoming a wholly owned subsidiary of mcch on 1 April 2015 enabling the two charities to work together through the group structure. A year later on 1 April 2016 all the assets and liabilities of DGSM were transferred to mcch.
- Robert Owen Communities and United Response merger - Sukanya, alongside others in the charity and social business team, advised Robert Owen Communities on its recent merger with United Response. They advised on the structure of the arrangements, on a number of due diligence issues and on the decision making processes required to implement the structure. The merger was effected by ROC becoming a wholly owned subsidiary of the national charity United Response enabling the two charities to work together through the group structure.
- Thames Reach Housing Association conversion - Sukanya advised Thames Reach Housing Association Limited on it recent conversion from an industrial and provident society into a charitable company with the new name of Thames Reach Charity. Sukanya advised on all aspects of the conversion including preparation of the new governing document, advising on the members’ resolutions, complying with the application requirements of the Financial Conduct Authority, Companies House and the Charity Commission.
- Member of the Charity Law Association
Sukanya is recommended in The Legal 500 (2014) who comment that she "meets deadlines and keeps to budget"
- Contributor to The Russell-Cooke Voluntary Sector Legal Handbook
- Written several articles for third sector publications including Caritas
“It’s been an absolute pleasure working with Sukanya on updating Carers UK governance documents. Her advice was succinct, not something you usually get with lawyers! And she was always quick to respond to any queries. Her clear timelines helped manage expectations and complete a challenging process smoothly. I have no hesitation whatsoever in recommending her services.”
- Finance Director at Carers UK