Over 15 years’ experience in the charity sector has taught me to provide the right advice at the right time and in the right form. Specialising in providing operational and governance advice, advising on incorporations, mergers and restructurings and registering new charities, has enabled me to work with both new and long established national charities such as the British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy, Choice Support and YHA.
Sukanya has a strong background in corporate law. She predominantly works on governance matters for charities and advises on mergers and restructuring charities as well as establishing new charities and trading subsidiaries and advising on incorporations and commercial contracts. She has particular experience in advising the boards of large membership charities on a variety of governance matters, including The Royal College of Podiatry, British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy and Youth Hostel Association (England and Wales).
Sukanya regularly speaks at the popular Russell-Cooke seminars particularly on the duties of trustees and understanding the requirements for effective governance. In addition, she provides training for clients in relation to the role of the board and governance matters.
She has volunteered for charities both overseas and in England including WaterAid and EveryChild. She was a volunteer for Freedom From Torture where she was a mentor for one year for a beneficiary who was settling in England after successfully seeking political asylum.
Sukanya was recommended in The Legal 500 (2014) who commented that she 'meets deadlines and keeps to budget'.
I greatly appreciated the prompt and clear advice I received, and the very satisfactory outcome to which it led.
- Constitutional reviews for The United Kingdom Committee for UNICEF, LAMDA, YHA and Sea Shepherd UK
- Establishing a number of charities including The College of Podiatry Trust, a podiatric research and educational charity, Incorporated Society of Musicians Trust and The Foundation Years Trust, an educational charity which encourages and provides support for youth education
- Restructuring several incorporations including The Scots Guards Charity, The Emery Walker Trust, Dancers' Career Development and the restructuring of a number of related charities by way of incorporation to create Commonwork Trust. Advising a number of charities including West Street Charity on restructuring to corporate trustee status
- Governance reviews for a number of charities including British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy, BookTrust and the trade union, The College of Podiatry
- advising Choice Support and Mcch on their merger and the establishment of a new charity, Partnership Support Group
- advising Royal Ballet Benevolent Fund on its merger with The Dance Teachers' Benevolent Fund
- advising Thames Reach Charity on its merger with Vital Regeneration
- establishment of Social Interest Group to effect the merger of Penrose Options and Equinox Care
- St Mungo Community Housing Association: advising the homelessness charity St Mungo Community Housing Association on its recent merger with Broadway Homelessness Support including advising on the structure of the arrangements, on a number of due diligence issues and on the decision making processes required to implement the structure
- Mcch and Burgess Autistic Trust merger: advised Mcch on its merger with Burgess Autistic Trust. Advised on the structure of the arrangements and on the decision making processes required to implement the structure including liaising with the Charity Commission in respect of regulated changes to the governing document of Burgess in order to effect the merger. The merger was effected by Burgess becoming a wholly owned subsidiary of Mcch enabling the two charities to work together through the group structure
- Robert Owen Communities and United Response merger: alongside others in the charity and social business team, advised Robert Owen Communities on its merger with United Response. Advised on the structure of the arrangements, on a number of due diligence issues and on the decision making processes required to implement the structure. The merger was effected by ROC becoming a wholly owned subsidiary of the national charity United Response enabling the two charities to work together through the group structure
- Thames Reach Housing Association conversion: advised Thames Reach Housing Association Limited on its conversion from an industrial and provident society into a charitable company with the new name of Thames Reach Charity. Advised on all aspects of the conversion including preparation of the new governing document, advising on the members' resolutions, complying with the application requirements of the Financial Conduct Authority, Companies House and the Charity Commission
Sukanya has been very helpful and generous in getting our new charity registered quickly. She has guided us through difficulty with clear advice.
Member of the Charity Law Association
I have been working with professionals across the board for longer than I care to remember, never has someone so efficiently and competently turned round our urgent Charity Commission issue in less than 24 hours.
- Contributor to The Russell-Cooke Voluntary Sector Legal Handbook
- Wrote several articles for third sector publications including Caritas