Clare is an associate in the charity and social business team, where she helps charities, social businesses and other third sector organisations to deal with their property.
Clare advises on a wide range of property-related matters, including:
- sales and purchases
- licences and usage agreements between parties
- option agreements
- adverse possession
- community asset transfers
- more general governance/commercial/charity law matters when these interact with other things clients are seeking to achieve
- potential and actual disputes
Clare trained at Russell-Cooke and joined the charity and social business team upon qualification in September 2014.
What Clare's clients say
- "Clare worked with us on a complex and innovative project. Always proactive and solution-focussed, Clare brought her considerable expertise and good humour to the table at all times: I would thoroughly recommend both her and Russell-Cooke" Sarah Parsons, Trustee, Trinity Fields Trust
- Providing assistance to various charities and sports bodies (including a national playing fields body) involved in the use or protection of open space. Drafting documentation designed to protect their interests and to document (often complex) relationships with other parties in relation to the space, including advising a sports charity on obtaining a new long lease of a playing field and documenting various usage and management agreements with other parties to enable that client to fund their rent under the lease and plan for the future of the field.
- Advising on and negotiating community asset transfers whereby community organisations obtain substantial interests in land enabling them to invest for the future, improve buildings and use them for the benefit of their beneficiaries, including the negotiation on behalf of a boxing gym of an agreement for long lease with the council which gave the charity in question the security they needed to raise funds to dramatically improve the building for their beneficiaries.
- Advising heritage bodies including two palaces and a castle on funding arrangements, works to improve their buildings, and leasing and licencing land to other parties.
- Completing sales and leases of property, providing ongoing assistance to a national charity for the blind in respect of their investment property portfolio and assisting operational charities (including a national education charity) when taking leases of office and other premises.
- Helping charities to establish title to property and to solve disputes (internal and external) involving property and particularly ownership/control of property.
- Assisting enabler and benevolent organisations (including two charity lenders) in providing secured loans (to other organisations, to enable them to carry out projects, or to beneficiaries in financial or other need) and in subsequently redeeming the same.
- Advising a well-known cemetery on the sale of burial rights and the right to erect a mausoleum, and preparing original documents designed to reflect and protect the interests of the charity.
- English, Jesus College, Oxford; and a distinction in subsequent legal studies.
- Prior to joining Russell-Cooke, Clare spent some time in Mexico, learning Spanish, and volunteering with the charities Centro Esperanza Infantil (a children's charity) and Fundacion En Via (a microfinance charity) in Oaxaca. Clare speaks conversational French and Spanish.