Richard is a consultant in the private client team.
He advises clients in relation to their estate planning, wills, probate and tax planning issues and offers Notary Public services. Areas of expertise include cross-border estates and international private law issues.
Richard is ranked in Chambers HNW (2020) as a senior statesperson for private wealth law and private wealth law with foreign expertise. The Citywealth Leaders List (2017) identify him as a 'leading lawyer'.
Richard is also ranked as a leading individual in The Legal 500 (2020).
He joined Russell-Cooke in 1977, qualified as a solicitor in 1979, became a partner in 1982 and qualified as a Notary Public in 1995. In 2018 he became a consultant.
Richard has given evidence to both the House of Lords EU Sub-Committee on the EU Succession Regulation and to the EU Parliament Legal Affairs Committee JURI on various cross-border matters including the EU Succession Regulation and Cross-Border capacity issues under the 2000 Hague Convention 35.
He has also been involved in many complex and difficult cases. Those in the public domain include Re P  2 All E.R. 1198 relating to statutory wills after the changes under the Mental Capacity Act 2005 and more recently private international law issues for one of the parties to High Commissioner for Pakistan v Nat West Bank and others  EWHC 55 (Ch).
- Ranked in Band 2 for private wealth law in Chambers HNW (2018)
- Recognised in The Legal 500 (2017) as a 'leader' in the field of private client: personal tax, trusts and probate.
- Ranked in Band 2 for private wealth law in Chambers HNW (2017)
- Ranked in Chambers HNW (2017) for private wealth law with foreign expertise
- Recognised in Citywealth Leaders List (2018) and identified as a ‘leading lawyer’ in Citywealth Leaders List (2017)
- Trusted Advisor of the Year - People's Choice Award 2016, STEP
- Ranked in Band 2 for private wealth law in Chambers HNW (2016). Richard "is a big player in the field," according to market sources. He is praised by interviewees for "knowing his stuff in this area backwards." "has considerable expertise of cross-border estates and large international private law issues. He is an acknowledged expert on Brussels IV." "He is really knowledgeable on cross-border stuff and European succession rules, it is a focus for him and he is really well known for it," says a market peer. "His strength is that he is supremely knowledgeable in his field and very user-friendly and helpful," says one source.
- The Legal 500 (2016) comments that he is "very experienced at advising on cross-border estates and foreign laws" and a "go-to person for advice on the International Protection of Adults". He has "an excellent reputation for cross-border work and conflict of law issues"
- Listed in the Thomson Reuters 'London Super Lawyers' list 2015
- Richard Frimston has "a stellar reputation for expertise in private international law and tax planning for cross-border estates'" and "expertise in complex issues that require a human touch", The Legal 500
- Experience advising on cross-border succession and tax planning matters, especially with French elements. Additional expertise and experience across the full range of private client matters. "They are very well respected. They are a class act in private client work.", Chambers UK
- Richard Frimston "is a leading light in conflict of law issues" who "has forgotten more about European succession issues than anyone in London has ever known.", Chambers UK
- "Richard Frimston is a renowned expert in the field of international tax and a highly regarded figure in the private client legal market." "He is a guru on cross-border issues and is always willing to share his background knowledge", comments one source. Frimston is a noted expert on French legal issues, Chambers Global
- "..the advice and assistance that he has given them has always been of the highest quality ...unfailingly calm and courteous...particularly strong on the issue of conflicts of laws, cross border estates..", Citywealth
- Richard Frimston "is in a league of his own", Who's Who Legal Private Client
- Awarded 'The Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners (STEP) Geoffrey Shindler Award for Outstanding Contribution to the Profession 2014/15
- Chair of the EU STEP Committee
- Co-Chair of the STEP Public Policy Committee
- Member of the Law Society’s EU Committee
- Accredited consultant to CRIDON Lyon
Richard is a member of various professional bodies including the European Law Institute, the British Institute of International and Comparative Law, the International Academy of Estate and Trust Law and the Association of Contentious Trust and Probate Specialists.
- Physics, Imperial College London
- Completed legal training with Russell-Cooke in 1979
- Qualified as a Notary Public in 1995