Stephen is a senior associate in the property and housing litigation team. He acts for both landlords and tenants, advising on all aspects of commercial, residential and mixed use property related disputes. He advises on all property litigation matters, including recovering possession of residential and commercial property, right of way disputes, disputes arising out of guarantee agreements, the application of legislation relating to houses in multiple occupation, service charge and rent arrears collection and tenancy deposit protection requirements.
Stephen is a trusted advisor to the UK's largest listed specialist residential landlord and numerous other large scale professional landlords. He regularly provides training to landlords and managing agents on their rights and obligations in respect of their work within the private rented sector. He also specialises in advising landlords of large scale build-to-rent schemes across the UK, in particular working closely with them to develop internal procedures and policies and standard documentation to enable their developments to thrive and then acting for them in any property litigation related matters that may arise.
He trained at Russell-Cooke and qualified in 2009.
- acting for Administrators and Receivers appointed by high street banks in the recovery of possession of multiple property portfolios across England
- numerous cases advising landlords and tenants regarding their rights and obligations relating to tenancy deposit protection
- Advising landlords and tenants in relation to Right to Rent checks introduced by the Immigration Act 2014, as well as retaliatory evictions and other changes to the law introduced by the Deregulation Act 2015
- assisting a landlord to recover possession of a large property in London to rectify a breach of their House in Multiple Occupation Licence
- numerous cases acting for landlords and tenants of commercial properties in lease renewal proceedings pursuant to the Landlord and Tenant Act 1954
- providing guidance to and drafting standard documents for major players within the private rented sector in the set-up and coordination of significant build to rent developments across London
- assisting a well-known London based charity with recovering vacant possession of two large mixed use buildings, allowing the charity to proceed with its aims of regenerating its site in the East End of London
- defending a landlord in a claim brought by long leaseholders relating to alleged unreasonable withholding of consent to proposed structural alterations
- assisting a landlord of a block of flats held on long leases in the First Tier Tribunal to determine the recoverability of insurance premium costs that were to be sought from the leaseholders
- defending a number of landlords in claims brought by tenants relating to alleged disrepair
- recovering possession of three West End apartments for a landlord, the tenants of which had claimed to have perpetually renewable leases that would allow them to live in the properties for as long as they wanted
- Listed in the Thomson Reuters 'London Super Lawyers' list 2015
- Named in the 2015 edition of The Legal 500, specifically for his reputation for “giving clear advice”
- Member of the Property Litigation Association
- Studied law at the University of Manchester, obtaining a 2:1
- Completed the Legal Practice Course (LPC) at College of Law Bloomsbury in London, graduating with Distinction