Edward is a partner in and head of the immigration team and is also a partner in the employment team. He has advised on both business immigration and employment law since qualifying as a solicitor in 2003.
He is one of a very small number of solicitors to be ranked by The Legal 500 as a "Leading Individual" in the field of UK immigration law and heads our legal directory ranked immigration team.
He is one of a very small number of solicitors that The Legal 500 recommends for both immigration and employment law advice.
Edward has a 100% success rate with all visa applications that he has submitted since qualifying as a solicitor.
In 2017, Edward was chosen as the International Business Immigration Lawyer of the Year in England, by Corporate International Magazine, and received an international business immigration award in the Global Law Experts Annual Awards.
Edward has considerable experience of advising national, large multi-national companies and publicly listed companies on the full spectrum of UK immigration law as it relates to their businesses and their employees and of advising on immigration matters that are typically of interest to high-net worth, ultra-high net worth and/or professional non-UK nationals.
He has considerable experience of advising on a wide range of immigration matters that relate to employers and Tier 2 related employment visas. Examples of this work are below:
- Tier 2 - Intra Company Transfer visa applications. He has advised on to many Tier 2 - Intra Company Transfer related matters, including obtaining this type of visa for the founder, reported billionaire and CEO of a leading investment management firm and for a senior employee of an asset management company
- Tier 2 - "General" visa applications. He has advised on a large number of Tier 2 - General related matters, including obtaining this type of visa for the CEO of a large multinational restaurant business and a senior employee working in the finance sector
- Tier 2 - licensing as a sponsor with UK Visas and Immigration. He has advised on many sponsor licence applications, including advising employers in the investment management, finance, food, proprietary trading, retail and technology sectors. Some of these sponsor licence applications have been granted within several days of applying and each of those were granted with the highest "A" rating
- Tier 2 - ongoing compliance with the sponsor regime. He has advised many employers relating to ongoing compliance with the sponsorship regime, including relating to record keeping, reporting, compliance with law, visa and Key Personnel related duties
- Tier 2 - advising in relation to numerous immigration compliance audits for very large organisations
- Advising on very complex immigration issues and immigration compliance requirements arising from administrations affecting sponsor licence holding entities and sponsored employees, resulting reorganisations, TUPE transfers, information sharing/cooperation arrangements between sponsor and administrator etc
- Challenging unlawful UK Visas and Immigration decisions, e.g. by judicial review or appeal. He has advised on numerous negative or potentially negative Home Office decisions, including in relation to Tier 2 and Tier 4 sponsor licences and relating to judicial review
- General compliance with UK immigration laws. He has advised many employers in this area outside the context of the sponsorship regime, for instance relating to the prevention of illegal working regime
- Edward has on many occasions provided training externally relating to business immigration law, including in relation to sponsorship and other business related immigration matters
He also has experience advising relating to other business related immigration matters as they relate to employees or individuals. Examples of this work and the complexity of issues he has typically dealt with in this area are below:
- Tier 1 Investor visas. His experience in this area includes successfully advising on a relatively rare £10m Investor visa application and obtaining a £2 million Investor visa for a US national client immediately prior to introduction of the stricter rules in the Spring of 2019
- Safe use of visitor visas to carry out a limited range of business activities in the UK. For instance, he has advised a founder, reported billionaire and CEO of a leading investment management firm, a CEO in the health sector and senior employee working in the finance sector on how to safely use a visitor visa to carry out business related activities in the UK
- Overseas Representative of a Business visa category. He has, for instance, obtained this type of visa for a senior employee of a large multinational business in the foods sector and advised on associated visa conditions
Edward also has considerable experience of advising national and large multi-national companies on employment law related matters. Examples of this work and the complexity of issues he has typically dealt with in this area are below:
- executive appointments and dismissals
- restrictive covenant and confidentiality arrangements
- the drafting and negotiation of employment related documentation, including service agreements, consultancy agreements and settlement agreements
Edward also has considerable experience of in advising employees on the protection and enforcement of their rights in the workplace, for instance in connection with unfair dismissal, whistleblowing and/or discrimination claims.
In relation to employment dispute related work Edward has obtained very many successful outcomes for employees either without the need for litigation or after having brought discrimination, unlawful detriments (whistleblowing), automatic unfair dismissal (whistleblowing), unfair dismissal, wrongful dismissal, breach of contract and/or unlawful deduction of wages claim against employers in the employment tribunal.
Edward is an expert relating to the interaction between immigration and employment law.
Whilst a student, Edward studied employment law to Master's degree level at University of London.
- Ranked as a "Leading Individual" by The Legal 500 in the field of UK immigration law
- Recommended by The Legal 500 for both immigration and employment law advice
- A former UK representative on the Immigration Committee of the American Bar Association's Labor and Employment Law Section
- International Business Immigration Lawyer of the Year in England (Corporate International Magazine – 2017)
- Member of the Immigration Law Practitioners' Association (ILPA)
- Member of the International Bar Association (IBA)
- Member of the Employment Lawyers Association (ELA)
Edward has on many occasions published articles about and provided expert commentary on immigration and employment law developments. For instance, he has appeared on Sky News, Channel 4 News and Radio 4. He has also provided expert legal commentary and/or written articles for The Times, The Financial Times, The Independent, The Guardian, The Daily Telegraph, City AM, Employment Law Journal, The International Bar Association's Employment and Industrial Relations Law Newsletter, The International Bar Association's Immigration and Nationality Law Newsletter, Corporate Counsel, Corporate International, Personnel Today, People Management and HR Magazine.
He has also given talks to, for instance, the American Bar Association's Labor and Employment Law Section and the European Employment Lawyers Association.
- Edward qualified as a solicitor in England and Wales in 2003, and has more than 16 years' post-qualification experience.
- Degree in modern history and a master's degree in law from Queen Mary, University of London
- Edward previously trained at and was an associate at leading US law firm Bryan Cave (now Bryan Cave Leighton Paisner), was a senior associate at "magic circle" law firm Clifford Chance and then a partner at another very highly ranked law firm
- Away from work Edward particularly enjoys spending time with his young family and golf, tennis, football and the cinema