Edward is a partner in and head of the immigration team and is also a partner in the employment team. He has advised on both immigration and employment law since qualifying as a solicitor in 2003.
He is one of relatively few solicitors that The Legal 500 recommends for both immigration and employment law advice. Described by The Legal 500 (2017) as someone who is “excellent” and "experienced".
He heads our legal directory rated immigration team, which The Legal 500 describes "a standout firm in business immigration"; providing a "brilliant service for high-net-worth immigration clients, and achieves impressive results" (2017), “very good” (2015), with an "in-depth knowledge of immigration" (2013).
Edward regularly writes about and comments on employment and immigration law developments. For instance, he has appeared on Sky News, Channel 4 News and Radio 4 and in The Times, The Financial Times, The Independent, The Guardian, The Daily Telegraph, City AM, Employment Law Journal, the International Bar Association's Employment and Industrial Relations Law Newsletter, the International Bar Association's Immigration and Nationality Law Newsletter, Corporate Counsel, Corporate International, Personnel Today, People Management and HR Magazine.
He has also given talks to, for instance, the American Bar Association's Labor and Employment Law Section and to the European Employment Lawyers Association.
In 2017, Edward was chosen as the International Business Immigration Lawyer of the Year in England, by Corporate International Magazine. In 2017 he also received an international business immigration award in the Global Law Experts Annual Awards.
Edward has considerable experience of advising national and large multi-national companies on the full spectrum of UK immigration law as it relates to their businesses and their employees, of advising higher education institutions and of advising on immigration matters that are typically of interest to high-net worth foreign nationals.
His immigration experience includes advising on:
- Tier 2 - Intra Company Transfer visa applications
- Tier 2 - "General" visa applications
- Tiers 2 and 4 - licensing as a sponsor with the UK Visas and Immigration
- Tiers 2 and 4 - ongoing compliance with the sponsor regime
- Tiers 2 and 4 - challenging unlawful UK Visas and Immigration decisions, e.g. by judicial review or appeal
- general compliance with UK immigration laws
- Tier 1 Investor visas
- Tier 1 Entrepreneur visas
Edward also has considerable experience of advising national and large multi-national companies on all employment law related matters, including advising on:
- national and City HR issues, including executive appointments and dismissals and bonus and boardroom disputes
- international employment arrangements and disputes
- HR issues on behalf of international companies with subsidiaries in the UK, particularly companies based in the USA
- restrictive covenant and confidentiality arrangements
- the drafting and negotiation of employment related documentation, including service agreements, consultancy agreements and compromise agreements
- employment issues, including the application of TUPE, arising out of domestic and international business transfers
- reorganisations, outsourcings and offshorings
- data protection and privacy
Edward is also experienced in advising employees on the protection and enforcement of their rights in the workplace, for instance in connection with unfair dismissal, whistleblowing and/or discrimination claims.
- A former UK representative on the Immigration Committee of the American Bar Association's Labor and Employment Law Section
- Member of the Employment Lawyers Association (ELA)
- Member of the Immigration Law Practitioners' Association (ILPA)
- Member of the International Bar Association (IBA)
- The Legal 500 has noted that Edward is: For employment, "excellent" (2017), “tenacious and leaves no stone unturned for his clients” (2016), an "exceptional talent” (2015) and valued for his "technical knowledge" (2014). For immigration, "experienced" (2017) and “brings the highest standards of professionalism and skill” (2016).
- Degree in modern history and a master's degree in law from Queen Mary, University of London
- Trained at and was an associate at a leading US law firm