Edward is a partner in and head of the immigration team and is also a partner in the employment team. He has advised on both immigration and employment law since qualifying as a solicitor in 2003.
He is one of relatively few solicitors that The Legal 500 recommends for both immigration and employment law advice. Described in the latest edition of The Legal 500 (2019) as a "courageous litigator".
He heads our legal directory rated immigration team, which The Legal 500 has described as "a standout firm in business immigration", providing a "brilliant service for high-net-worth immigration clients, and achieves impressive results" (2017), "very good" (2015), with an "in-depth knowledge of immigration" (2013).
The latest edition of The Legal 500 also says as follows relating to our immigration team:
"Russell-Cooke LLP's business immigration team is noted for its experience in advising on the immigration law implications of complex and high value corporate transactions. Its client-base spans the education, professional services, healthcare, finance, media and pharmaceuticals sectors. Acting for individuals, the team also regularly handles complex children and family law issues and also advises on sensitive immigration adoption cases involving adoption of children abroad." (2019)
Edward regularly writes about and comments on immigration and employment law developments. For instance, he has appeared on Sky News, Channel 4 News and Radio 4. He has also provided comments for The Times, The Financial Times, The Independent, The Guardian, The Daily Telegraph, City AM, Employment Law Journal, The International Bar Association's Employment and Industrial Relations Law Newsletter, The International Bar Association's Immigration and Nationality Law Newsletter, Corporate Counsel, Corporate International, Personnel Today, People Management and HR Magazine.
He has also given talks to, for instance, the American Bar Association's Labor and Employment Law Section and to the European Employment Lawyers Association.
In 2017, Edward was chosen as the International Business Immigration Lawyer of the Year in England, by Corporate International Magazine, and received an international business immigration award in the Global Law Experts Annual Awards.
Edward has considerable experience of advising national and large multi-national companies on the full spectrum of UK immigration law as it relates to their businesses and their employees, of advising higher education institutions and of advising on immigration matters that are typically of interest to high-net worth foreign nationals.He typically deals with immigration matters for employer clients.
He typically deals with immigration matters that are extremely complex (such as applying for sponsor licences on an expedited basis and challenging negative Home Office decisions relating to sponsor licences), to moderately complex (such as applying for Tier 2 visas and trying to speed up applications for Certificates of Sponsorship) to relatively non-complex immigration matters (such as use of the Sponsorship Management System).
He has experience of advising on a wide range of immigration matters that relate to employers and Tier 2 related employment visas. Examples of this work and the complexity of issues he has typically dealt with in this area are below:
- Tier 2 - Intra Company Transfer visa applications. He has advised in relation to many Tier 2 - Intra Company Transfer related matters, including obtaining this type of visa for the CEO of a leading investment management firm and for a senior employee of an asset management company
- Tier 2 - "General" visa applications. He has advised in relation to a large number of Tier 2 - General related matters, including obtaining this type of visa for the CEO of a large multinational restaurant business and a senior employee working in the finance sector
- Tier 2 - licensing as a sponsor with UK Visas and Immigration. He has advised in relation to many sponsor licence applications, including advising employers in the investment management, finance, foods, proprietary trading, retail and technology sectors. Some of these sponsor licence applications have been granted within several days of applying
- Tier 2 - ongoing compliance with the sponsor regime. He has advised many employers relating to ongoing compliance with the sponsorship regime, including relating to record keeping, reporting, compliance with law, visa and Key Personnel related duties
- Tier 2 - advising in relation to numerous immigration compliance audits
- Challenging unlawful UK Visas and Immigration decisions, e.g. by judicial review or appeal. He has advised in relation to numerous negative or potentially negative Home Office decisions, including in relation to Tier 2 and Tier 4 sponsor licences and relating to judicial review
- General compliance with UK immigration laws. He has advised many employers in this area outside the context of the sponsorship regime, for instance in relation to the prevention of illegal working regime
- Edward has on many occasions provided training externally relating to business immigration law, including in relation to sponsorship and other business related immigration matters
He also has experience advising relating to other business related immigration matters as they relate to employees or individuals. Examples of this work and the complexity of issues he has typically dealt with in this area are below:
- Tier 1 Investor visa category. His experience in this area includes successfully advising on a £10m Investor visa application
- Tier 1 Entrepreneur visas. His experience in this area includes assessing eligibility for this type of visa
- Use of visitor visas to carry out a limited range of business activities in the UK. For instance, he has advised a CEO of a leading investment management firm and senior employee working in the finance sector on how to safely use a visitor visa
- Overseas Representative of a Business visa category. He has, for instance, obtained this type of visa for a senior employee of a large multinational business in the foods sector and advised on associated visa conditions
Edward also has considerable experience of advising national and large multi-national companies on all employment law related matters. Examples of this work and the complexity of issues he has typically dealt with in this area are below:
- executive appointments and dismissals
- restrictive covenant and confidentiality arrangements
- the drafting and negotiation of employment related documentation, including service agreements, consultancy agreements and settlement agreements
- employment issues, including the application of TUPE, arising out of domestic and international business transfers
Edward also has considerable experienced in advising employees on the protection and enforcement of their rights in the workplace, for instance in connection with unfair dismissal, whistleblowing and/or discrimination claims.
In relation to employment tribunal related work Edward has, for instance, brought a race discrimination, whistleblowing and unfair dismissal claim against a large employer, brought an automatic unfair dismissal (whistleblowing), wrongful dismissal, breach of contract and unlawful deduction of wages claim against another large employer and defended a manufacturing business against a redundancy related claim. These are examples of his employment tribunal related work and the complexity of issues he has typically dealt with relating to employment tribunal claims.
He typically deals with employment matters that are extremely complex (such as extremely complex contractual and statutory employment claims), to moderately complex (such as negotiating complex settlement packages) to relatively non-complex employment matters (such as advising on time limits relating to employment claim related time limits).
- A former UK representative on the Immigration Committee of the American Bar Association's Labor and Employment Law Section
- International Business Immigration Lawyer of the Year in England (Corporate International Magazine – 2017)
- Member of the Immigration Law Practitioners' Association (ILPA)
- Member of the International Bar Association (IBA)
- Member of the Employment Lawyers Association (ELA)
- The Legal 500 has noted that Edward is: For immigration, "courageous litigator" (2019), "very experienced" (2019), "experienced" (2017) and "brings the highest standards of professionalism and skill” (2016). For employment, "excellent" (2017), "tenacious and leaves no stone unturned for his clients" (2016), an "exceptional talent" (2015) and valued for his "technical knowledge" (2014).
- Edward qualified as a solicitor in England and Wales in 2003, and has more than 15 years' post-qualification experience. He is also an immigration supervisor (relating to both business and individual immigration advice) and an employment supervisor
- Degree in modern history and a master's degree in law from Queen Mary, University of London
- Edward previously trained at and was an associate at leading US law firm Bryan Cave (now Bryan Cave Leighton Paisner), was a senior associate at "magic circle" law firm Clifford Chance and then a partner at a highly rated specialist law firm