Janice is a partner in the personal injury and clinical negligence team. Chambers notes her success in achieving a £5.25 million award on behalf of actress Leslie Ash, who suffered catastrophic injuries following time in hospital - the highest award ever made for a hospital acquired infection.
Janice's practice includes both personal injury and clinical negligence cases. She has acted on many high-value cases including those relating to head and spinal injuries. She has a particular interest in issues relating to hospital-acquired infection and cosmetic surgery and acts for clients domiciled both here in the UK and overseas, is a regular contributor to medico-legal journals.
Sources in Chambers UK (2018) note "she really engages with her clients and she's very well prepared".
Janice studied at the University of Swansea and trained at South London solicitors. She joined Russell-Cooke in 1999 and was made a partner in 2001.
- Lyndsay Mitcheson v Bradford Teaching Hospitals NHS Trust in which a doctor performed the wrong operation leading to a left leg amputation
- Susan Osuch v Imperial College Healthcare NHS Trust a casualty doctor failed to recognise and treat pneumonia in a 43 year old woman leading to multi organ failure and brain damage
- Mr S v CICA Claim successfully obtained compensation for Mr S who was 13 when he was assaulted by a group of youths and left with multiple severe injuries
- Ms FP v Jason David Thomas (road traffic accident) the claimant recovered £695,000 in compensation following a road traffic accident in which she suffered severe head and spinal injuries
- Wayne Williams v St George's Healthcare NHS Trust in which a doctor left part of a latex glove in a patient's windpipe causing permanent damage
- Sources in Chambers UK note "she really engages with her clients and she's very well prepared" (2018) and “she is highly intelligent and she brings that to bear by spotting the issues in the case long before anybody else does” (2017)
- Described in The Legal 500 (2017) as a "supreme performer" who is "incredibly client-focused" and "a practitioner of very high calibre"
- She is described in Chambers UK (2015) as being "immensely capable" and commended for her "prompt and clear" responses and strong knowledge of her subject matter.
- "she is phenomenal - energetic, clever, good at analysing the medical aspects of the case and determined to get to the bottom of seemingly impossible issues", Chambers UK (2014)
- Janice is noted for her friendly approach and her 'willingness to contribute to making the tougher decisions' Chambers UK (2011) in addition to being 'passionate about getting the best deal for her clients' Chambers UK (2012).
- Described by The Legal 500 (2016) as “an incredible lawyer and tactician who is tough with opponents, but also fair and approachable”, commenting that “there is nothing she doesn’t know about running tricky and challenging cases”
- 'impressive ability to focus', and 'enormous experience and perception', The Legal 500 (2011)
- "outstanding ability" and "good judgement in high-value cases" describing her as "shrewd" and "a talented litigator in heavyweight PI", The Legal 500
- Listed in London Super Lawyers, Thomson Reuters 2014 and 2015
- Member of the Law Society Personal Injury Panel
- Member of AVMA (Action for Victims of Medical Accidents)
- Member of the Law Society's Clinical Negligence Panel
- Member of APIL (Association of Personal Injury Lawyers)
- Secretary to the London Regional Group