Peter is a partner and highly regarded lawyer specialising in advising clients on matters relating to professional and financial regulation and discipline, as well as regulatory and disciplinary law in sports related matters.
He has been a partner of the firm since 1978.
A partner in the regulation team, Peter advises companies and their individual directors in matters relating to regulatory and criminal law issues, from corruption to potential money laundering offences.
Peter regularly acts as an advocate in disciplinary and regulatory proceedings before Disciplinary Tribunals, Appeal Tribunals and in the High Court. Peter’s expertise is reflected by his appointment as a decision maker for many regulatory bodies.
A source in Chambers (2018) notes that "he has a great interest in our organisation and delivers an excellent standard of work."
Peter has lengthy experience as a solicitor advocate in all courts, with a thorough knowledge of the law of evidence in adversarial proceedings.
He has provided advice as a legal adviser to sports bodies and advised on rule changes.
He also provides advice and assistance to various professional sports organisations as to their Intellectual Property Rights and the protection of those rights. This also includes advice given to broadcasters such as British Sky Broadcasting Limited.
Peter makes regular appearances as an advocate in proceedings of a regulatory and disciplinary nature. He has represented sports organisations, clubs and individuals in disciplinary and regulatory matters in addition to providing general advice.
- Appointed by the FA Premier League to sit as Commission Chair in connection with the complaint as to ticketing allocation in the last football game at Maine Road as a result of a complaint lodged by Southampton FC against Manchester City Football Club
- Appointed as Chair of the FAPL into the alleged 'tapping up' of James Beattie as a result of a complaint lodged by Southampton Football Club against Aston Villa Football Club/David O'Leary
- Retained by the Architects Registration Board to appear before the High Court on the first appeal against the decision of the Professional Conduct Committee
- Appointed by the FA Premier League to sit as their representative in the regulatory and contractual dispute of Mutu
- Represented Chelsea Football Club and Jose Mourinho arising from the complaint lodged by Arsenal Football Club into the 'tapping up' of Ashley Cole. Representation before the FAPL Commission and on appeal
- Appointed to sit on Barclays Premier League Tribunal in matter of Sir Bobby Robson v Newcastle United FC in complaint arising over severance issues and Premier League Rules
- Appointed to sit on Barclays Premier League Tribunal in matter of Lawrie Sanchez v Fulham FC in complaint arising over severance issues and Premier League Rules
- Appointed to sit on Football Association Arbitration in relation to Football League v Leeds United FC/Ken Bates
- Appointed General Counsel for Newcastle United FC regarding media coverage of the football club
- Appointed as Chair of the British Fencing Association Disciplinary Committee. The role includes both an investigatory and a disciplinary function, and as such deals with all allegations of misconduct received by the Association
- In the role as Honorary Legal Adviser, has advised the British Fencing Association as to challenges on data protection, Human Rights and child protection issues
- Appointed as Chair of various commissions held by the Football Association Premier League
- Appointed as the FA Premier League representative on further appeal committees, sitting as the nominee of the FA Premier League
- Chair of the National Greyhound Racing Association Appeal Board (subsequently the Greyhound Board of Great Britain) Appeal Board. This post involves chairing all appeals from the decisions of the Disciplinary Committee
- General Counsel retained to advise the Federation Against Copyright Theft (FACT) and to conduct prosecutions on their behalf, including conspiracies and serious fraud
- General Counsel to the Institute of Legal Executives (ILEX)
- Chair of the Investigating Committee of the Chartered Institute of Public Finance Accountants
- Chair of Nursing & Midwifery Council (NMC) Investigations Committee and Interim Orders Committee
- Law Society appointee to the Solicitors Disciplinary Tribunal Users Committee
- Institute of Financial Accountants – Chair of the Investigations Committee
- A source in Chambers (2018) notes "he has a great interest in our organisation and delivers an excellent standard of work"
- Interviewees in Chambers UK (2017) report he "handles things with incredible calm and efficiency."
- Described as "tough" and "impossible to intimidate by the press or investigators", The Legal 500 (2017)
- Member of the Association of Regulatory and Disciplinary Lawyers (ARDL) with full rights of audience in all Courts, both criminal and civil
- Member of the Investigation Committee of the Taxation Disciplinary Board
- Member of the Executive Committee Professional Standards Council of the Assets Based Financial Authority (ABFA)
- Member of the Chartered Institute of Management Accountants Appeal Committee (CIMA)
- Member of the Law Society Rules & Ethics Committee
- Member of the Regulatory Board of the Chartered Institute of Public Finance Accountants
- Member of the UKAS Committee of the Greyhound Board of Great Britain (GBGB)
- Member of the British Fencing Safety Committee (voluntary)
- Listed in the Thomson Reuters 'London Super Lawyers' list 2015
- Rated by legal directories, Peter is described as "very approachable, pragmatic and easy to get on with" Chambers UK (2015)
- Noted in Chambers UK (2014) as a "very experienced and courageous advocate
- Described as a "superb solicitor advocate," and someone who is "highly rated by the market" Chambers (2013)
- "What he has is that judgement, that blend of civil and criminal knowledge, which is really important in regulatory work" Chambers (2013)
- Described by The Legal 500 (2016) as “a good tactician” and someone who is “calm and unflappable in a crisis”
- "an excellent strategist" and "highly intelligent" The Legal 500 (2014)
- Peter is a "'hardworking, skilful advocate" and a "very tactically astute lawyer with charm" The Legal 500 (2013)
- Legally Qualified Chair of Police Misconduct Hearings – Avon & Somerset Police, Wiltshire Police and Gloucestershire Police in 2016
- Read law at Kings College London
- Enrolled as a lawyer in the Turks and Caicos Islands
- Admitted as a solicitor in 1976 and was awarded a post graduate certificate in sports law from Kings College, London in 2000