We give advice about the cross-border issues that arise when someone owns assets in more than one country, or has some other connection with a foreign jurisdiction - for example, when their spouse or civil partner comes from another country, or when their children live or work abroad.
Areas of law on which we offer specialist advice include:
- marriage and civil partnership - pre and post-nuptial contracts and the effects of matrimonial property regimes across borders
- divorce and dissolution - the implementation of financial settlements across borders
- capacity - cross-border protective measures that can be taken for people who have lost capacity to manage their own affairs, including powers of attorney
- wills and tax planning
- estates and estate administration - complex cross-border estates and deal with their administration
- Our team of specialist lawyers have outstanding expertise and a wealth of experience dealing with cross-border issues.
- Members of the team are part of the Brussels EU Commission Experts Group and have contributed to leading textbooks in this area of law.
- The team are recommended in Chambers High Net Worth 2019 which notes that the team is "brilliant to work with, very quick, responsive and sound." Richard Frimston is listed as a leader in cross-border estates and capacity matters.
- According to The Legal 500 (2022), "the cross-border team at this leading London firm bring passion and activism informed by the firm’s strength and depth in a wide number of specialist fields."
- We offer sensible, practical and technically-reliable advice.
- Our fees are highly competitive compared to those of other central London competitors with similar levels of expertise.
- We have a strong reputation in the field. Many of our clients are referred to us from City law firms.
- The breadth of the firm's expertise means we can offer integrated, joined-up advice to clients with complex problems.
Association of Contentious Trust and Probate Specialists (ACTAPS)
The Association of Contentious Trust and Probate Specialists(ACTAPS) was established on Monday 8th September, 1997 for lawyers specialising in contentious trust and probate work.www.actaps.com
Solicitors for the Elderly
Solicitors for the Elderly (SFE) is a national organisation of lawyers, such as solicitors, barristers, and legal executives who are committed to providing and promoting robust, comprehensive and independent legal advice for older and vulnerable people, their family and carers.www.sfe.legal
The International Academy Of Estate And Trust Law
An opportunity for lawyers to join together and as a group seek enlightenment as to the law in other countries so that that knowledge could be carried home to improve what they have in their local statutes.www.international-academy.org
The British Institute of International and Comparative Law
The British Institute of International and Comparative Law continues a mission first begun in 1895: to advance the understanding of international and comparative law; to promote the rule of law in international affairs; and to promote their application through research, publications and events.www.biicl.org
Private Client Practitioner Top 25 Law Firms
eprivateclient is the leading website and news service for private client practitioners, including lawyers, accountants, trustees and fee-based IFAs. It is the only place to see the results of the Private Client Practitioner Top 25 Law Firms, Top 25 Accountancy Firms, Top 25 Trust Companies, Top 25 IFA Companies, Top 35 Under 35 and 50 Most Influential.eprivateclient.com
Charges are usually based on our hourly rates plus administrative charges and disbursements. We will provide you with an initial estimate of your likely legal costs and will update this as your requirements or the circumstances of the work change.
We would be pleased to discuss your requirements and produce a costs estimate accordingly based on the type and complexity of the work involved.
The Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners (STEP) is a unique professional body providing members with a local, national and international learning and business network focusing on the responsible stewardship of assets today and across the generations. STEP provides education, training, representation and networking for its members. Members advise clients on the broad business of the management of personal finance. Full members of STEP are the most experienced and senior practitioners in the field of trusts and estates.www.step.org
The STEP Journal is the official magazine of the Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners. The STEP Journal provides news, reviews, opinion and technical analysis on trends and issues facing trust and estate practitioners internationally. Each issue is planned by a panel of industry experts. For in-depth technical analysis STEP also publishes the Trust Quarterly Review (TQR), a supplement of the STEP Journal, containing the latest technical papers from leading practitioners, distributed quarterly with the STEP Journal.www.stepjournal.org
Title Research is one of the leading experts in specialised people tracing and asset repatriation services worldwide. They value, sell and transfer UK and foreign shareholdings and can locate missing heirs, policy holders, landowners and other asset owners or missing persons. Our asset repatriation experts sell and transfer overseas property, land, shares and bank account funds.www.titleresearch.com
Private Client Adviser
Offering a truly modern and practical perspective on all areas of private client practice, Private Client Adviser (PCA) is a resource for successful private client practitioners. PCA caters to all the major stakeholders in private client advice, from lawyers to accountants and independent financial advisers. Covering a wide range of matters across a variety of jurisdictions, their expert contributors analyse the latest developments and stimulate debate that provides readers with unique insight into private client practice.www.ecadviser.com
Successions in Europe
A European Commission website dedicated to succession in Europe which offers basic guidance for 27 countries. Available in 23 languages.www.successions-europe.eu
- View all related events