For advice on who to talk to, call
Russell-Cooke provides strategic advice to assist individuals with the often complex aspects of planning law, helping clients achieve their property aims. The planning team covers a comprehensive range of advice and support throughout all aspects of the planning process.
How we can help you secure planning permission
- Strategic planning advice in relation to planning applications, change of use applications and the effective use of Permitted Development Rights working alongside planning consultants as appropriate to bolster planning applications
- Drafting lawful development certificates for future or already completed development
- Drafting planning obligations/agreements which are required for the grant of planning permission, for example s106 agreements to secure affordable housing or a car free development and subsequent deeds of variation
- Advice on planning policy which may affect the proposed development
How we can help if your planning application is refused
- Appeals of planning decisions which have been refused
- Statutory challenges/High Court appeals
- If enforcement action is taken by the council, we can assist by appealing this
- If you have been prosecuted for failure to comply with an enforcement notice, we work with our criminal litigation team to try to work with the council to find a mutually agreeable solution
How we can help if you want to object to a proposed development
- Drafting objection letters against neighbouring developments and representing clients at planning committee
- Judicial review of planning permissions
- Working with a council to achieve enforcement action if a neighbour is carrying out unlawful development
Other planning issues we can assist with
- Listed properties or those located within a Conservation area and implications for any proposed works
- Properties with trees subject to a Trees Preservation Order and implications for any proposed works
- Common land, village greens and assets of community value
- Breaches of licensing
- Highways Law and public rights of way
- Property subject to a proposed compulsory purchase order (CPO) including compensation advice
Our planning team is recommended in The Legal 500 (2017). The head of our team, Alex Ground is described in Chambers UK (2018) as a "very sharp legal mind" who is "commercially astute" and "provides excellent service".
Charges are usually based on our hourly rates plus administrative charges and disbursements. We will provide you with an initial estimate of your likely legal costs and will update this as your requirements or the circumstances of the work change.
We may also be able to offer fixed priced options for clients depending on their budget and the size, type and complexity of the work involved.
We would be pleased to discuss your requirements free of charge and tailor a costs proposal accordingly.