I advise developers, land owners and private individuals on the full range of planning law issues. I most enjoy working with long standing clients and seeing development proposals actually constructed. I aim for all new clients to become longstanding ones of the future.
Alex qualified at a leading global law firm and practised there for eight years before joining Russell-Cooke in 2012 to set up the planning team. She became a partner in 2015.
She advises on all aspects of planning, highways and compulsory purchase including planning applications, appeals, negotiating s106 agreements, challenges and enforcement.
Alex acts mainly for property developers, strategic land owners, property owners, energy companies and private individuals on a complete range of projects from major development projects to those for individuals.
She has had numerous articles published in Estates Gazette, Planning, Property News and the national press and has presented several seminars including being invited to speak at events hosted by large conference training and networking providers.
What has always inspired me about Alex is her relentless energy and spirited initiative.
- Advised client on enforcement notice appeal relating to change of use pursuant to permitted development rights to residential
- Advised on extension and refurbishment of iconic Oxford Street landmark building formerly House of Fraser
- Advised on s106 agreement for build to rent scheme for 240 residential units
- Advised on luxury co-living scheme with GDV of £60 million
- Advised Perenco on their planning applications including s106 negotiations for Wytch Farm, Dorset (UK's largest onshore oilfield) to extend its field life including obligations totalling over £1.7 million
- Advised client on threatened use of s203 power by council which would override rights to light claim for injunction
- Advised client on 100% affordable housing scheme from inception to grant of planning permission including planning application review, s106 agreement, CIL issues
Alex has superior commercial awareness because she has a sincere interest in delivering a successful outcome for her clients, so from the very first conversation she is listening, digesting and forward thinking to the next stages.
- Acted in a successful high court case Woodcock Holdings Limited v Secretary of State EWHC 1173
- Acted for Stonegate Homes and Littleworth Properties on the first successful high court challenge to a Neighbourhood Plan - (on the application of Stonegate Homes Ltd) v Horsham DC  EWHC 2512 (Admin)
- Advised a claimant in a multi-million pound compensation claim for compulsory purchase associated with Thameslink 2000
- Advised on self-build scheme and extent to which developer could get details approved for each plot to maximise return
- Advised for objectors to several large infrastructure projects including HS2 and Silvertown Tunnel in connection with compensation agreements for compulsory purchase
- Community Infrastructure Levy reviews and appeals including successful cases where council cancelled CIL liability notices and various reliefs/exemptions
- Acted for one of the UK’s premier exclusive sports club on community use agreement enabling policy breaches to be outweighed
- Advised land owner on objection to common land registration
She delivers with a determination and sincerity which, quite frankly, is unique but profoundly reassuring.
Comm on! Successful objection to a public common registration
Recent CIL appeal acts as reminder that obligation to pay CIL can be triggered by demolition
Planning law update—November 2023