Gareth is a partner in the trust and estate disputes team.
Acting for both claimants and defendants on a range of contentious trust and probate matters, Gareth's remit includes will challenges, claims for financial provision under the Inheritance (Provision for Family and Dependants) Act 1975, claims concerning domicile, breach of trust and claims relating to ownership of a deceased's property (implied trusts and proprietary estoppel).
He has a particular interest and experience in disputes involving assets in civil law jurisdictions.
As an expert in mental capacity law and contentious Court of Protection matters Gareth acts for deputies, attorneys and other interested parties on the removal of attorneys/deputies, disputed lifetime gifts, statutory wills and financial abuse claims amongst others.
Gareth qualified as a solicitor in 2006 and joined Russell-Cooke in 2008. He became a partner in 2015 and was appointed Equality, Diversity and Inclusion partner in February 2020.
- Domicile dispute: acted for adult children of a wealthy businessman in a complex multi-jurisdictional dispute regarding whether the deceased’s estate should be divided according to a copy will in England or under foreign rules of intestacy.
- Statutory will: acted for attorney under an LPA to obtain authority from the Court of Protection to execute an urgent holding statutory will for an elderly lady who had lost capacity, but had nevertheless made a new will leaving her multi-million pound estate to a former neighbour who had befriended her.
- Executor dispute: acted for sibling executors facing a claim for removal owing to their past actions, including alleged impropriety in their use of estate funds. In collaboration with private client colleagues, assisted clients to present their administration in a coherent way.
- Disputed lasting power of attorney: successful application to the Court of Protection to replace an attorney under a LPA in favour of an independent court-appointed professional deputy, securing the person lacking capacity’s financial interests and enabling her daughter to have contact with her again.
Gareth is a member ACTAPS (Association of Contentious Trust and Probate Specialists)
STEP (Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners)
Special Interests Groups on Mental Capacity, and is
A committee member of London Branch CoPPA (Court of Protection Practitioners Association)
Gareth did an LLB Law with French Law and Language at University of East Anglia followed by the LLM French Law and European Law - Université Paris I (Panthéon-Sorbonne).
- Gareth is a fluent French speaker.