- software and SaaS development and supply
- licensing and subscription agreements
- data protection
- commercial contracts and terms of business
- brand registration, protection and licensing
Entrepreneurs frequently seek Guy's advice on establishing and growing their businesses and appreciate the breadth of advice provided.
Guy applies for, contests and defends UK, European and international trade marks. He can advise as to the suitability of your brand for trade mark protection and can deal with the application and any contest to the application on your behalf. His expertise includes challenging other trade mark applications if they infringe on your brand.
Guy regularly comments in the press on issues relating to the technology sector and leads external training to entrepreneurs and founders on a wide range of legal issues.
Guy joined Russell-Cooke in 2002 as a trainee and qualified as a solicitor in 2004, he then became a partner in 2012.
Corporate experience includes:
- leading a team that advised Circle Research Limited (a leading business-to-business strategic insight consultancy) and its shareholders on the sale of the Circle Research business to Next Fifteen Communications Group plc
- assisted the corporate team with the acquisition of Travelsphere and Just4You brands; a transaction involving over 200 employees as well as other brands and assets. Guy’s role included liaising with overseas advisers and assisting with the negotiation of the purchase documents
- regularly advises start-ups and established businesses on equity fundraising rounds including seed rounds (including EIS and SEIS), angel and super-angel rounds, and series rounds. Recent fundraising clients have included marketing and advertising technology businesses, a technology-led compliance consultancy, and a software agency
Start-up experience includes:
- recognised in the technology sector as a leading practitioner advising start-ups and is frequently asked to give commentary and training on the legal issues faced by start-ups
- advised numerous start-ups on their fundraising, commercial contracts and terms of business, shareholders agreements, and intellectual property protection. Guy also provides valuable general advice to start-ups on navigating the legal framework
- start-up clients include consumer apps, software development, e-commerce, travel and technology sectors
- several of Guy’s start-up clients have gone from start-up to national prominence including Onefinestay and Just Park
Branding and intellectual property experience includes:
- Guy regularly applies for, defends and enforces trade marks on behalf of national and international clients, with consumer and technology brands being a particular specialism
- advises several clients on their European and international trade mark portfolios including Windmill Organics which owns one of the UK’s largest independent organic food brands, Biona Organic
- Recommended in The Legal 500 (2020)
- Member of the SCL - the IT Law People
- Member of the International Trade Marks Association
- Studied history at University College London
- Graduate diploma in law and LPC at the College of Law