Julie is a partner in the private client team. She advises on the full spectrum of private client matters including wills, lifetime tax planning, succession planning, trusts and estate administration.
She has substantial experience representing international clients on cross-border issues, and has a strong background in the elderly care space where she assists with care home fee planning, lasting powers of attorney and Court of Protection applications.
Recognised as a full STEP member and a fully-accredited member of Solicitors for the Elderly, Julie is noted in the legal directory Chambers High Net Worth (2020) for her "effective approach which allows her to engage well with clients and create an easy rapport building trust and confidence rapidly".
Julie joined Russell-Cooke in 2020 from a major Surrey-based law firm where she was head of the private wealth group.
- Advised clients on high net-worth capital tax planning, including business tax planning succession utilising business property relief and ancillary advice on succession for business owners with interests in excess of £100 million
- Advised on complex inheritance tax and private international law issues for mixed domicile couple (second marriage) and the importance of an overseas Will dealing with land and asset preservation structures for children of first marriage
- Created an Excluded Property trust for a non-domiciled South African client and provided advice on implications for later acquisition of UK domicile.
- Counselled a mixed-domiciled couple on the implications of future claims by children and the use of no-contest clauses
- Advised clients on the limitations of restrictions in lasting powers of attorney, challenging the Office of the Public Guardian
- Shortlisted for Private Client Lawyer of the Year at the Surrey Law Society Legal Awards 2018
- Won Best Private Wealth Lawyer UK in the 2016 Women in Wealth
- Listed as a Leading Individual (band 2) in Private Wealth in Chambers High Net-Worth (2020)
- Ranked tier 2 in The Legal 500 (2018) for Contentious Trusts and Probate
- Ranked tier 3 in The Legal 500 (2018) for Personal Tax, Trusts and Probate
- BA in Law at the University of Wales and subsequently obtained a Commendation from the College of Law in Guildford.