For advice on who to talk to, call
We offer specialist, bilingual expertise to clients who require advice on wills and estate planning in a French law context.
Common issues where our team can help include:
- where there are assets in France, particularly where there is immovable property
- French succession law and its impact on other issues such as legal reserve and rights for spouses
- French inheritance tax
- wills in French holographic form
- changes in matrimonial property law/French marriage contracts
- transfer of ownership by way of sale or gift as a succession planning tool
- domicile for succession purposes
- All members of the team from our lawyers to our administrative assistants and support staff are bilingual. Our team of lawyers has first-hand knowledge of the interaction of the French and English legal systems. We have huge experience in the field of French property and succession and are frequently asked to act as expert witness on matters of French laws in legal proceedings conducted in the UK. Much of our work comes from referrals from other lawyers and professional firms.
- We belong to STEP UK (Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners), are members of LEXUNION and are accredited consultants to CRIDON Lyon.
- Our French Law and Property team is led by Dawn Alderson, an experienced bilingual avocat and solicitor qualified in both French and English law. Dawn practised in France for over a decade before joining Russell-Cooke in 2000.
- Member of the team include:
- Patrick Delas is qualified as a French Avocat and solicitor dealing with a wide range of matters relating to cross-border estate planning, inheritance and wealth tax.
- Judith Backo trained as a notaire (diplômée notaire France) and worked for more than five years in several notarial firms, most of them being based in the French Alps, before moving to London.
- All have extensive experience of French law that comes only from working in France and an extensive network of French contacts.
Dawn Alderson is a member of STEP (the Society of Trust & Estate Practitioners). STEP is the leading worldwide body for practitioners in the fields of trusts, estates and related issueswww.step.org
Avocat au Barreau de Bordeaux
Dawn Alderson dual-qualified solicitor in England & Wales and Avocat au Barreau de Bordeaux (French practising avocat).www.barreau-bordeaux.avocat.fr
Avocat au Barreau de Paris
Patrick Delas dual-qualified solicitor in England & Wales and Avocat au Barreau de Paris (French practising avocat).www.avocatparis.org
Véronique Cardon is a Diplômée Notaire.www.notaires.fr
Private Client Practitioner Top 25 Law Firms
eprivateclient is the leading website and news service for private client practitioners, including lawyers, accountants, trustees and fee-based IFAs. It is the only place to see the results of the Private Client Practitioner Top 25 Law Firms, Top 25 Accountancy Firms, Top 25 Trust Companies, Top 25 IFA Companies, Top 35 Under 35 and 50 Most Influential.eprivateclient.com
For more than 50 years the CRIDON LYON has been the expert legal advisor for notaires and their collaborators. Created in 1962, the CRIDON LYON is a 'Groupement d’Interet Economique' (GIE) [group of economic interest] whose members are the 28 departmental (provincial) chambers of notaires located around the Rhin-Rhone-Mediterranean area and representing more than 3,000 notaires. A board of three administrators and a counsel of 12 members, all notaires elected by the general meeting ensure the CRIDON LYON governance. The GIE executive management ensures the operational function of the company. Its 76 collaborators undertake daily legal consulting services in all main areas of law (domestic and international), training, documentation input in paper or digital format.www.cridon-lyon.fr
We work on hourly rates which reflect the skill and experience of our French qualified lawyers (who in most cases are also English solicitors), and other bilingual members of the team.
At the outset we will let you have an estimate or budget of the likely costs based on the information available to us at the time and will update these if your requirements or the circumstances of the case change.
We will work with you and your other professional advisers to find a solution which is effective across boundaries and taking into account not only the level of risk which you are prepared to accept but also the relative financial importance of the matter to you.
French Property Law
The French team has launched its own dedicated French property website which provides a comprehensive resource for people looking to buy a property or with property interests in France.www.frenchpropertylaw.co.uk