For advice on who to talk to, call
We advise landlords and leaseholders of flats and houses on the enfranchisement provisions of the Leasehold Reform Act 1967 and the Leasehold Reform, Housing and Urban Development Act 1993 as well as the Landlord and Tenant Act 1987. This includes matters relating to:
- individual or multiple lease extension
- statutory freehold purchase collective enfranchisement
- house enfranchisement
- freehold sales to leaseholders
- matters following collective enfranchisement
- right of first refusal in relation to the freehold or intermediate interest
We have wide experience of all types of enfranchisement and lease extension work, including matters involving high-value central London properties and complex collective enfranchisements of large blocks of flats. In such cases, we can advise on the most efficient and tax-effective legal structures. In particularly complex cases we can call upon the support of our corporate and commercial and litigation teams. We have well-established links with other property professionals such as valuation surveyors.
In addition we also deal with other landlord and tenant matters including:
- voluntary lease extensions
- licenses to assign
- licences to alter
- continuing advice to freehold companies post-enfranchisement including granting of 999 year leases
- The specialist enfranchisement group comprises a team of both property and property litigation lawyers. We are committed to completing transactions via the quickest and most cost-effective route and if at all possible without recourse to the tribunal and court systems
- Our experience and resources means we are well placed to undertake complicated, time critical deals
- Legal peer review Chambers UK (2021) says that our team "is informed and experienced, with good client management." We are ranked in Band 1 for in the real estate category.
Charges are usually based on our hourly rates plus administrative charges and disbursements. We will provide you with an initial estimate of your likely legal costs and will update this as your requirements or the circumstances of the work change.
We would be pleased to discuss your requirements free of charge and produce a costs estimate accordingly based on the type and complexity of the work involved.
ALEP exists to ensure that practitioners involved in leasehold enfranchisement adhere to an agreed level of conduct and service. Membership of this professional association is a badge of assurance to leaseholders and freeholders that they can be sure of a consistently high level of service, integrity and professionalism.www.alep.org.uk
The Leasehold Advisory Service
The Leasehold Advisory Service is an Executive Non Departmental Public Body (ENDPB) funded by Government to provide free advice on the law affecting residential leasehold and commonhold property in England and Wales. We also offer a mediation service.www.lease-advice.org
The Residential Property Tribunal Service
The Residential Property Tribunal Service is the public body that can decide many Rent and Leasehold disputes. We provide a fair, unbiased service used by thousands of Landlords, Tenants and Leaseholders every year.www.rpts.gov.uk
- View all related events