Gareth is an associate in the charity and social business team. Gareth has been with Russell-Cooke for over 5 years and advises charities and social businesses on a wide range of charity law, commercial and governance matters including:
- setting up charities
- mergers and collaborations
- commercial contracts
- fundraising, including commercial participation arrangements, professional fundraising contracts and challenge events
- charity trading and the use of trading subsidiaries
- incorporations – trusts or unincorporated associations becoming charitable companies or charitable incorporated organisations (CIOs)
- governance reviews and amending charity constitutions
Prior to joining Russell-Cooke in 2013, Gareth worked as the team leader in a global toxicology company's contracts department.
- Advising on mergers and incorporations of all shapes and sizes including the merger between Breast Cancer Now and Breast Cancer Care, the UK's two biggest breast cancer charities.
- Establishing all types of charity from small, local organisations to global outfits with a wide range of charitable activities.
- Advising on charitable fundraising and associated commercial agreements including for several large national charities and "household names".
- Guiding numerous amateur sports clubs through changes to their legal status and structure including by converting unincorporated CASCs into charities with trading subsidiaries.
- Assisting partner Chris Rowse in advising on the sale and donation of Whitehouse Ruskin Collection, the largest collection of Ruskin memorabilia in the world, from two charities to Lancaster University with a loan back of certain items secured to Brantwood, Ruskin's home in the Lake District.
- Part of the team advising 4Children on its administration and the transfer of its assets and employees to third parties. Only 3% of services faced closure as a result of the charity being put into administration.
- Law, University of Oxford
- LPC, the College of Law, London