Gareth provides strategic legal advice to charities and other not-for-profit organisations on a wide range of governance and commercial matters, including establishing new charities, incorporations, collaborative working arrangements and mergers, commercial contracts, charity trading and fundraising.
Gareth endeavours to get to know his clients and understand the context in which they operate so he can tailor his approach and advice accordingly. He advises a wide range of organisations from national, household names to small, local voluntary organisations.
Prior to joining Russell-Cooke in 2013, Gareth worked as the team leader in a global toxicology company's contracts department. He was promoted to senior associate in 2021.
- Advised on the merger of Breast Cancer Now and Breast Cancer Care, the UK's two biggest cancer charities
- Advising several "household name" charities on fundraising arrangements, including in relation to commercial participation arrangements, professional fundraising arrangements and charity challenge events
- Guiding and providing strategic advice to a large faith charity in relation to its preparation for and management of a Charity Commission compliance visit
- Advising various amateur sports clubs (including rugby, cricket, football, golf and multi-sports) in relation to their legal structure and status, including by assisting clubs to convert from unincorporated CASCs to charitable entities with trading subsidiaries
- Assisting partner Chris Rowse in advising on the sale and donation of Whitehouse Ruskin Collection, the largest collection of Ruskin memorabilia in the world, from two charities to Lancaster University with a loan back of certain items secured to Brantwood, Ruskin's home in the Lake District
- Establishing numerous charities including grant makers, service delivery organisations, charities operating overseas and faith organisations
- Advising numerous charities and not-for-profits in relation to their governance and legal structure, including their incorporation into companies limited by guarantee or charitable incorporated organisations
- Law, University of Oxford
- LPC, the College of Law, London