Rebecca is a partner in the private client group advising families and individuals on all aspects of private client law including wills, estate planning, administration of estates, trusts and powers of attorney.
She regularly advises clients including entrepreneurs, business owners and multi-generational family businesses on succession planning, with particular focus on inheritance tax and capital gains tax planning. Rebecca fully understands the unique challenges that family businesses face.
Rebecca has considerable experience advising family lawyers and their clients on the tax implications of separation and divorce.
Rebecca is mindful of the fact that clients may be coping with emotionally difficult issues and adopts a sympathetic yet practical approach.
Rebecca is director of Russell-Cooke Trust Company.
- wills - advising both UK and non-UK residents on all aspects of will drafting and issues affecting wills. She works with clients to ensure that the will reflects individual needs giving clients peace of mind that their family and friends are properly protected
- estate planning - advises clients on protecting wealth for the next generation including the creation of trusts, lifetime gifts and transferring property in order to mitigate exposure to inheritance tax, capital gains tax, pre-owned assets tax and stamp duty land tax
- administration of estates – advising on complex multi-jurisdictional estates. She has experience of business property relief and agricultural property relief and has advised executors on estates which include heritage property. Rebecca also works very closely with our trusts & estates disputes team advising on the tax implications of arrangements under IPFDA 1975
- trusts - advising on tax efficient trust creation, declarations of trust and preparation of trust documentation, including preparing deeds of release, assignment and appointment
- Powers of Attorney - advised on preparing and registering Powers of Attorney, and subsequent management of clients' affairs and drafting living wills
Rebecca's experience includes:
- contentious multi-jurisdictional estate - acting in the administration of a contentious multi-jurisdictional estate with issues regarding residence and domicile and application to the court for Benjamin orders
- re-structuring - advising the owner of significant business empire on re-structuring to maximise the availability of agricultural and business property relief for inheritance tax
- limited spouse exemption - advising a US client on the application of a limited spouse exemption for IHT and the rules of election
- Double Tax treaty - advising clients with Indian domicile on the impact of the Double Tax treaty and impact of a finding of deemed domicile
- succession planning - advising a members of a family that owned a substantial property investment company on succession planning and the tax implications on the death of the major shareholder
- guardianship provisions - advising a terminally ill patient on guardianship provisions in a will and their application
- tax implications and structuring - advising a family client on the tax implications and structuring of an agreement to provide for a child under Schedule 1 of the Children Act 1989
- restructuring - advising a client on the tax implications in connection with the restructuring of his civil partner's estate with assets located in two different jurisdictions
- winding up the trust - advising the trustees of a large trust fund on the tax implications of winding up the trust
- regularisation of a trust - advising trustees on the regularisation of a trust where all documentary evidence had been lost
- structuring of wills - advising families on structuring of wills to make provision for young children and the differing tax consequences
- Entrepreneurs' Relief and Business Property Relief - advising on the application of Entrepreneurs' Relief and Business Property Relief to a large shareholding in a family business
- Russell-Cooke Trust Company (RCTC) – Helping clients with business interests (find out more)
- She is described as a 'prominent figure' and 'power woman' in the 2014, 2015 and 2016 editions.
- Named 'Top 35 Under 35', Private Client Practitioner 2013. The list is designed to identify, recognise and promote and introduce the rising stars of the private client profession. It is a global recognition for young and upcoming professionals within the private client field.
- Member of the Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners (STEP)
- Member of Resolution Pensions Tax and Financial Remedy Committee - a specialist organisation for families and lawyers committed to dealing with family cases in a constructive and conciliatory manner
- Law, Southampton University
- Qualified in 2005, subsequently specialising in private client law at a London firm, joining Russell-Cooke in August 2013.