Listed in The Legal 500 and Chambers UK as a leader in his field, Jason is a partner and head of the housing and property litigation team, specialising in the avoidance or resolution of property disputes (using Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR) or litigation).
He advises on all areas of property litigation, including landlord and tenant law (residential, mixed use and commercial) and property disputes about boundaries, party walls, restrictive covenants, trespass, rights of way, and rights of light.
Jason leads the team's highly regarded service to well-known investors in the private rented sector, in particular Grainger, Get Living and Tipi.
Many of Jason's individual clients own very high value residential property, particularly in prime central London.
Jason is also an experienced mediator (accredited with ADR Group (1997) and CEDR (2018)). His mediation cases range from smaller scale disputes to large scale million pound multi-party claims, involving property companies, utility companies, not-for-profit organisations and individuals.
Jason trained at Russell-Cooke, qualified in 1992 and became a partner in 1997.
- Working with colleagues in the planning team, helping a client stop his landlord pursuing rooftop development above his Central London apartment
- Regularly helping parties resolve or avoid disputes about alterations and trespass claims relating to expensive London flats
- Mediating a dispute between a landlord and former tenant about a compromise agreement, helping them come to a further settlement
- Supporting a client faced with an injunction relating to party wall works
- Acting for an off-shore company in a dispute with an occupier of its London property, among other things, about whether or not there was a property contract or a proprietary estoppel in the occupier's favour
- Helping a client settle a claim about leaks and damage caused to a flat
- Challenging or enforcing party wall act awards, including a challenge to an award of security for expenses set very high, a challenge to the method of construction of a very large wall and opposing a challenge to an award determining costs and fees
- Advising the owner of a Central London office building in its dispute with the owner and tenant of a neighbouring building about a trespass and the cessation of rights over the building
- Mediating successfully a high-value dilapidations claim between a landlord, tenant and a well-known utility company
- Successfully mediating a three-party dispute between a flat owner, a developer and a restaurant occupier about claimed representations and infringements of property rights
- Helping a landlord evict a tenant from restaurant premises because of arrears of rent
- Acting for a well-known financial institution in a complex service charge and appointment of a manager dispute in the Leasehold Valuation Tribunal (now the First Tier Tribunal (Property Chamber)) at one of its mixed use schemes
- Mediating a professional negligence claim against a solicitor who failed to advise on a onerous lease clause, helping achieve a compromise
- Helping a well-known developer resolve various service charge problems on four of its London projects, and advising it about breaches of lease by flat owners
- Acting for a commercial tenant in an appeal against a rent review arbitration
- Advising a former tenant of a distribution warehouse in its defence of a dilapidations claim
- Member of the Property Litigation Association and was its chairman in 2003/4
- Chambers UK (2020) describes Jason as "extremely knowledgeable and proactive litigator" saying he is "pragmatic and sees the bigger picture"
- "Jason is quick to respond and efficient with paper work while also having good common sense" The Legal 500 (2020)
- Chambers UK (2019) comments Jason is "a total expert in property disputes" and "a brilliant solicitor"
- The Legal 500 (2019) states that Jason "excels on party wall disputes, nuisance cases and providing strategic advice to developers" and he "constantly drives matters towards resolution"
- "An experienced man with an excellent knowledge of the law" Chambers UK (2018)
- Recognised in The Legal 500 (2017) as a 'leader in his field'
- Jason regularly appeared on ITV's This Morning as one of its 'legal eagles'