Rita is a partner in the private client team. Rita advises individuals and families on a wide range of private client issues, including administering estates (including intestate estates), wills, Court of Protection and capacity issues.
Rita is described in The Legal 500 (2017) as "a real expert and is passionate about her work. She genuinely cares about the clients whose affairs she looks after. She is professional and compassionate, and is someone whom you can turn to on all capacity-related issues."
Rita specialises in:
- administration of estates - Rita advises both individuals and beneficiaries based in the UK in relation to tax, succession and estate planning. Rita has experience in dealing with high value estates as well as intestacies and deals with all aspects of post-death tax planning.
- capacity/Court of Protection/Powers of attorney - Rita advises on all aspects of Court of Protection work including the appointment of Deputies, Statutory will applications, the removal of Deputies and Personal Injury Trusts. Rita is known for her sympathetic approach to clients, for what can be an extremely difficult time, and also advises on the management of a client's affairs if they lose capacity. Rita also advises on Advance Decisions (Living wills) and the registration of Powers of Attorney. Rita has been recommended in The Legal 500 because of her experience in Court of Protection and capacity work.
Rita often gives talks to NHS groups, charities and private organisations regarding issues surrounding capacity.
View Rita's first blog as Chair of Step on the July 2017 biannual statement.
- Described in The Legal 500 (2017) as "a real expert and is passionate about her work. She genuinely cares about the clients whose affairs she looks after. She is professional and compassionate, and is someone whom you can turn to on all capacity-related issues"
- Described by The Legal 500 (2016) as “extremely experienced and empathetic”
- Recommended in The Legal 500 (2014) as a "significant figure in the team"
- Chair for STEP (Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners) England and Wales Regional Committee
Rita read law at Sussex University and has been with Russell-Cooke since March 2007