James is a senior associate in the children and education law team. As a member of the Law Society’s Children Law Panel James is able to represent children in court proceedings and he is a Resolution accredited specialist in private law children disputes and adoption.
James provides clear, focussed and practical advice and aims to achieve the best outcomes for families and children whether in court or through negotiations. He undertakes most of the advocacy at all stages of his cases, giving his clients continuity throughout their matters.
James has extensive experience advising and representing adult and child clients in:
- all aspects of arrangements for children when parents separate (who children live with and how they spend time with separated parents), parental responsibility, and applications to move overseas with children (leave to remove applications)
- applications to adopt children. James is well placed to advise and guide clients through the adoption process as a result of his expertise in public law proceedings
- arrangements for grandparents and extended family members to care for children such as special guardianship orders, including the financial and other support that may be available to carers
- applications for emergency orders to protect adults and children from abuse
- child protection matters, where James has experience helping families deal with and resolve social services investigations as advantageously as possible
- issues around foster care including advising foster carers in disputes with their fostering agencies, and representing parents to secure the right placements and support for children in foster care
- public law care proceedings brought by social services. James is experienced in representing both parents and children through their court appointed guardians. He is regularly instructed in complex cases involving allegations of non-accidental injury to children, sexual abuse, and where criminal law matters affect the welfare of children. He has been described as "a real up and coming lawyer for children and parents in care proceedings"
- Member of Resolution and the Association of Lawyers for Children
James has a degree in English from the University of Oxford and an MA in English from the University of Exeter. He trained at Russell-Cooke after completing his legal studies, qualifying as a solicitor in 2009.